I will start this off by going over the facts. I don't do this to scare you I do it to show you how real this is and how big of a problem it has become. We cant continue to turn our heads to it or it will continue to become more and more of a problem. We need to gain control and start turning the tables so lets start here with this information and see what we can do to make the change...
What is bullying? - Bullying is intentionally mistreating, hurting, threatening and/or harming an individual more then once. Some disagree with this and say even one time is bullying, but bullying is where there is a power imbalance.
Types of Bullying
- Physical Bullying - This would include but is not limited to: Hitting, pushing, kicking, stealing from, defacing property, pinching, pulling, flushing someones head in the toilet, locking them in lockers, spitting on, etc.
- Cyber Bullying - This would include but is not limited to: E-mails, text messaging, web pages, social networking sites, chat rooms etc.
- Verbal Bullying - Threats and intimidating, teasing, name calling, putting someone down, racist remarks, sexist remarks, whispering behind their back intentionally loud enough for them to hear etc.
- Social and Relational - Intentionally ruining relationships, destroying your reputation, humiliating someone, intimidating, stealing boyfriends/girlfriends just to hurt someone, hurtful body language (rude hand gestures, facial expressions), spreading hateful rude rumors about someone etc.
- Approximately 160,000 kids stay home from school everyday because of bullying.
- About 43% of bullied children are in fear of being bullied in the bathroom of their school.
- There are 282,000 students that get physically attacked in secondary schools each month
- 1 out of 5 kids admit to being a bully or doing some sort of bullying.
- 1 out of 4 teens are bullied
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied.
- 43% of kids have been bullied online
- 97% of middle school students have been bullied online.
- 21% of kids have received threatening messages.
For a more complete list on these statistics please visit http://stompoutbullying.com/aboutbullying_theissue.php
Children who are bullied can be effected in numerous ways. Some can shrug it off, others suffer depression etc, and others cant take it and turn to suicide to stop the pain. Victims suicide rates are increased by upwards of 50% and 30% of kids up to 18 years of age are a direct result of bullying. We really need to help those that are being bullied and those that are doing the bullying. We CAN make a difference. If you know of anyone please take a stand before its to late, you could end up saving a life!!!
I am going to post some links below with information on how to get help if you are being bullied or know a bully. I will be posting a number that your teens can call with a trained volunteer. Remember there is help, You are not alone!!!
Are you being bullied - Great help article below or call this number 1-855-790-HELP(4357) if you are thinking about suicide call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-Talk(8255).
Are you a bully - http://stompoutbullying.com/aboutbullying_areyouabully.php
Are you a witness of bullying - http://stompoutbullying.com/aboutbullying_bystanders_upstanders.php
Suicide is not the answer - http://www.stompoutbullying.org/suicidenoanswer_savealife.php
has some Excellent information on it please make sure to visit the site.
Remember to write down these numbers
Stomp out Bullying Trained Volunteers Hotline: 1-855-790-HELP (1-855-790-4357)
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
National Suicide Prevention Deaf Hotline: 1-800-799-4TTY (1-800-799-4889)
If you or someone you know is on the verge of suicide PLEASE call 911 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) or go to the nearest hospital emergency room immediately so you can get help. Its NOT the answer, I promise!
Here is an EXCELLENT book to help you with bullyproofing your child.
Here are a couple of video's I have found about bullying
Please feel free to leave your comments below.